I don’t why but the few times we have tried to help our clients with their building permit process in Lagos, it didn’t go well. We don’t render that service anymore. Obtaining a building permit for a property in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria should be easy but corruption makes simple things difficult.
If you are looking to buy land in Lagos and build, please take note of the following.
- Ensure your land is not within the setback of a public utility. If it is, you will not be granted a building permit
- Ensure the land is Free from Government Acquisition
- Have all the documents you need for the building permit process e.g. Survey plan, architectural plan, structural plan (if applicable), M&E plan (if applicable) etc.
- Sort out your taxes
- Look for someone who has a track record of completing the building permit process for people ON TIME.
- It is better to start your building permit process before you begin construction. If you don’t, you will be a good target for extortion.